Sunday, November 16, 2008

Illiteral

Having taken a broad swipe at the materialist-scientistic worldview last time, it seems only fair to balance that with a comment on the Christian fundamentalism that sets itself in opposition to science. Because I quoted Darwin in my previous posting, I was initially inclined to address the shortcomings of the literalist interpretation of the book of Genesis that underpins efforts either to ban the teaching of evolution or require the teaching of “creationism.” However, I think a more general comment may suffice.

So I’ll say simply that the fundamentalists’ claim that they interpret the Bible literally is false, or at least is only true some of the time – that is, when it suits them.

For example, we’ve all heard about TV evangelists’ use of the law of Moses to condemn homosexuality and anything else they don’t like. And anyone who belongs to a conservative Christian denomination is familiar with the use of the law to justify the practice of “tithing,” or donating one-tenth of one’s income to the church.

So how do those ministers justify those appeals to the ancient law of Israel if they take a literal view of these words from Paul’s letter to the Galatians (chapter 2, verses 16-21):

“Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.”

Or these from Paul’s letter to the Romans (chapter 7, verses 4-6):

“Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God. For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death. But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.”

Returning to Galatians (chapter 5, verses 1-4), we find Paul issuing a specific warning to some early Christians who believed they needed to adhere to one particular point of the ancient law:

“It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery. Behold I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you. And I testify again to every man who receives circumcision, that he is under obligation to keep the whole Law. You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.”

It seems to me that Paul’s warning can be applied in reverse to those who pick and choose among the laws of Moses to rationalize tithing or to condemn practices they disapprove of: You are under obligation to keep the whole law. So you need to start keeping kosher, and you need to make an appointment with your local mohel or mohelot.

No comments: